EVERYONE IS WELCOME AND ENCOURAGED TO JOIN A SMALL GROUP!
Small groups are very important because in them we can help each other grow to be all that Christ wants us to be. So if you are a visitor, a new member, a member for years; if you are curious, interested, or maybe just bored one night — COME!
All the groups below are open to anyone to come at any time. You can call or email the contact person listed with each group for more information, or if a location is given just show up! We won’t require you to sign your life away or pay a membership fee, but we do promise a welcoming, open group of people who are growing in Christ.
- STITCHING & FELLOWSHIP GROUP meets every Tuesday at 10am, Sept to early June in the Parlour upstairs. Bring your hand-stitching, machine sewing, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, etc, or come and watch others & learn. Or just come and enjoy some time together sharing coffee and fellowship. Contact: Jean Lilly, 905-690-0188 or Pat Simpson, 905-689-8985.
- Thursday Morning MEN’S STUDY GROUP meets Thursdays at St James at 7:30 am in Rm 12 downstairs, Men of all ages are welcome. Coffee will be on!! Contact: Doug Reddon, 905-335-3412 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- FIX-IT GROUP meets Thursday mornings, 9am-noon, to do odd jobs around the church. Coffee & conversation time is included. Contact: David Sindrey, 905-689-7081 or email@example.com
- UNITED CHURCH WOMEN’S GROUP. Meets Sept through May, on the second Tuesday monthly at 10am in the church parlour upstairs. Women of all ages are welcome. Contact: Ruth Harper 905-689-4515.
- L.I.F.E. Group (Living In Faith Everyday)
Starts Wed. May 1st. Meets every Wednesday until the end of June
at 2 pm and 7 pm for an hour of fellowship, Bible study, and learning to be in mission in the community.
Attend whichever time fits your schedule. Please join us.
If you have an interest in becoming a part of any of these groups, please contact the church office at 905-689-6223.
- St. James Chancel Choir – The Chancel Choir is a dedicated group of men and women who serve in the worship of God, giving of their talents great and small. We are open to new members (16 & older) who love to sing and wish to share their talent. We meet every Thursday for practice from September to May and serve in the choir loft every Sunday from September to June. We try to have extra special music for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Palm and Easter Sunday and Celebration Sundays. Come and visit us any Thursday at 7:00 pm in the choir room (below the Sanctuary, enter from the door on the north east corner of the church). Speak to any choir member, we are happy to answer your questions. We work hard but we have fun in the process. New comers are welcome and needed.
- Outreach – The Church is called to be the expression of God’s love in the world. Our Outreach Team seeks to envision and facilitate opportunities for reaching others compassionately through acts of justice and charity. The Outreach Team regularly supports and promotes several important ministries: the United Church Mission and Service Fund, the Flamborough Food Bank, Drummond House and Wesley Urban Ministries (including Case for Kids Run-Ride-Walk, Gift Giving Sunday, Christmas dinner and the Christmas Store). They also facilitated the “God is Green” spring clean-up and helped to make the Guatemala, Haiti & Trinidad mission trips possible.
- Visitation Group – The Pastoral Care committee leads an active group of people that builds relationships in the community. Contact the church office for information.
- Communications Group – The Communications team was created with an aim to improve the ways in which St. James communicates who we are and what we offer, both within the congregation and in the wider community. The Communications team looks after producing the CONTACT newsletter, as well as keeping the web pages up to date, informing the newspaper and other media outlets of St. James events, as well as helping other groups and committees with requests for publicizing their events. If you have an interest in any area of Communications, we would be pleased to have you join our Team. There are lots of things that can be done to make communication within St James, and from St James to the wider community, better.
- The Worship Committee – The purpose of the Worship Committee is to plan meaningful worship services, whether through the spoken word, music, special ceremonies, or the beautification of the Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall. In 2004, a cafe style service was introduced to meet the needs of those who wish to worship less formally. Our aim is always to remain open to new suggestions. We currently meet once a month. Please feel free to join us. Contact the church office for the next meeting date.
- Pastoral Care Committee liaises between the church Administrator and the Minister with respect to the needs of the congregation and maintains a team of people who regularly visit those in need at their residence or in a hospital. We provide a tele-ministry for those who would benefit from a phone call. We maintain and update the list of all congregants of St. James. We maintain and distribute hearing aids for Sunday services and special services and arrange for greeters on Sunday mornings. When needed we send cards to members and meals to new mothers. We assist during Baptism services. We have been instrumental in the preparation of the Pictorial Directory, and organize the distribution of the printed version of The CONTACT newsletter. We arrange two shut-in communion services a year and provide transportation if required. We organize and participate in fundraisers. We provide coffee in turn following the Sunday service. If you would like more information about the Pastoral Care Committee or wish to refer someone to us, please contact Rosemary Mills at 905-689-6214. Our meetings are held on the third Monday evening of each month.